| Sources of Funding|
Preservation and Public Ownership
Funds can come from one or more of the following sources.
- Private contributions or donations from special interest groups or organizations
- Local general tax revenues and voter approved tax levies to support the purchase of property for open space or the purchase of development rights on farmland
- County allocation of funds for larger areas of benefit
- Grant funding from state and federal sources for specific projects with extensive review for approval and typically including cost sharing i.e. Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund (MNRTF – state dollars), Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF – federal dollars)
- Local initiatives to provide for selective purchase and set aside of land for open space preservation